How lucky are WE? We get to look young longer, be young longer, and be playful longer. We get to turn those passive-sounding “golden years” into whatever we create them to be. Do you still feel like a vibrant, energetic kid? We do. That’s why we sold everything to live in Costa Rica. Now we’re in Cuenca, Ecuador. And no matter where we are ~ at home or abroad ~ everyone’s got their own adventures. Will you share yours? Let’s LIVE LIFE FULL-ON together!

Monday, February 25, 2013

THE GREAT GALAPAGOS ADVENTURE Chapter 2




That first afternoon we settled into our rooms and quickly headed out to get a “lay of the land”. We were told there was a beach just around the corner at Finch Bay, so that’s where we headed. 



We rounded the bend of the volcanic path to see the perfect little protected cove with the greatest little surprise. A pair of sea lions lazed nonchalantly on the beach, nonplussed by our intrusion. They looked up, yelped a little, and went back to their siestas. Very cool.

The next morning we went right back ~ this time with snorkel sets in hand. Okay, now you have to understand something. I’ve been swimming all my life, but never have I used a mask and snorkel. When Jeff ordered the sets on Amazon a few weeks before the trip, I was secretly dubious as to whether or not I’d ever use the darned things. Little did I know that a person without a snorkel in the Galápagos is like a fish without water...or something like that.

By the time we’d put our stuff down and I turned around toward the water, Jeff was already in. Following his lead, I struggled to get the unwieldy mask and snorkel on. Finally adjusted, I dipped my face under. 

Unbelievable. I was standing in not more than 3 feet of water and a totally different world revealed itself. YES! I was jazzed to see schools of little fish swimming by, barely noticing me at all, without a care. Hesitantly though, I pushed myself to just get in there farther and swim. Wow. It was both exciting and a little freaky to be sliding belly-close over volcanic rocks watching tiger eels slither into the hollows. I swear I giggled, though, as I swam over the cutest little fish I’ve ever seen. They were a velvety royal blue irridescent with yellow lips and red eyes. As I passed they seemed to intentionally pop up out of their volcanic holes as if to say something. Was it a big “hello” or a warning to “STAY AWAY!” - I’m not sure. Sweet, beautiful fish were everywhere, totally at ease with our presence. What a blast! Oh, what I wouldn’t have done for an underwater camera!

I kept at it for a bit, but just couldn’t even dare to think about following Jeff out towards the open mouth of the bay. Besides, I was getting a little chilly in the increasingly cooler water, so I ended up back toward the shore. Gliding by about 3 feet away was a manta ray. I followed him, watching in awe as he pulled back and forth up to a small rock at the edge, sucking and filtering whatever he did from the sand. Wild. I turned back, and a marine iguana lumbered before me, apparently sneaking up for a sleep in the sun. Amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever been so close to the natural rhythms of such a wealth of creatures like that. Love it. 


That afternoon we took the 5 minute water taxi over to  Puerto Ayora. It's a sweet little town with a great main street and lots going on. The hub of the island, this is where you pick up tours, rent bikes, kayaks, diving or snorkeling equipment,  browse the shops, go to the market, or eat out in one of the few restaurants. Word to the wise: much is imported, and therefore tends to be expensive. Still, we found some great little eateries that were relatively reasonable.


The fish market ended up being a favorite daily stop. It was fun to watch the catch of the day being expertly sliced, and even moreso to be entertained by the pelicans and sea lions waiting patiently for their cut. Do you see that cute little face just under the counter? I swear, the sea lions were like pets and even seemed to know that they had to wait their turn. So cool.

We walked around some more and investigated tour options. So much to choose from! Thankfully, though, we already had the next day set. We were going to the Charles Darwin Center, and to a giant land tortoise farm with our house manager Paul, who also happens to be a naturalist and tour guide. Stay tuned and come along for the ride!



2 comments:

Idea Merchant said...

Hello again Trish,

I discovered your blog today, and have faithfully read it, beginning to end :) Too bad there is no end to your Galapagos adventure. Hope it is just because you are lazy, not for a more serious reason :)

I have left one comment on my way, and also tried to email you to the address you gave somebody else. My message also bounced :(

From now on, your dedicated reader, who is looking forward to hearing from you

ideamerchant at gmail.com

Trish said...

Thanks so much for writing, Idea Merchant! I really appreciate your positive comments. I never know if anyone out there is really reading my blogs, and am grateful for both of your messages. I promise to continue the Galapagos blogs today - you gave me just the kick in the pants I needed. I hadn't written for both the reasons you named - 1) Sadly, I had to return to the States for my sister's passing, and 2) Admittedly, I've been lazy. So thanks again. I look forward to connecting with you!