How lucky are WE? We get to look young longer, be young longer, and be playful longer. We get to turn those passive-sounding “golden years” into whatever we create them to be. Do you still feel like a vibrant, energetic kid? We do. That’s why we sold everything to live in Costa Rica. Now we’re in Cuenca, Ecuador. And no matter where we are ~ at home or abroad ~ everyone’s got their own adventures. Will you share yours? Let’s LIVE LIFE FULL-ON together!

Friday, May 11, 2012

UNDER OUR FEET WHERE NO GRASS GROWS Settling into Cuenca part two

"Frenetic" is the word that definitely defines the next stage of settling into our new home here.  The brand new three-bed apartment overlooking the river Tomebamba was fantastic, and even included terraces off of every room. But excited as we were, it didn't take long for us to be overwhelmed by the daunting prospect of having to fill it all. No appliances, no furniture, bedding - not even basic kitchen tools. Yikes!


So off we went, pounding the pavement. Thankfully, the wide variety of furniture stores here are ready and waiting to fit any taste or budget. Jeff and I literally put on miles each day, hemming and hawing, discussing and deciding. Between taxi cabs willing to be stuffed to the gills and home deliveries, somehow it all worked out. And then once the big items were out of the way, the next phase was to decorate. I needed rugs. Wall art. Vases, candles, and adornments. All to complete what felt like an empty shell. I needed it to feel like home, and I needed it now. It's a girl-thing, I'd explain. You can see my husband's rolling eyes, can't you?


For him, the next step was all about getting wheels. He couldn't wait to hop onto a bike to explore the city and its outskirts. All the walking and taxi riding was okay, but wheels meant freedom. Woohoo! So we purchased two bikes, and I'd join him once in awhile. Call me a wimp, but I was much less up for battling the insanity of the traffic (and nasty bus fumes) of the Centro than he was. He'd go like a banshee through the sidewalks and streets,  joyriding to his heart's content. Me? Give me Sunday mornings riding along the lovely river's bike paths ~ in peace and safety. Sad. Where is my sense of adventure?


Ah, but not long after that, we learned about a motorcycle friends had up for sale. They'd decided to get scooters instead, so naturally, Jeff jumped at this great opportunity. Now we could have even more freedom! So now you can picture typical wimpy me, right? Yep. Eyes shut tight, praying as we wove through lanes of crazy-driving taxis, buses, and cars, my arms clutching and nails digging ever more deeply into      his sides. Aarrgh! Biker Chick I'm not.


So while I went back to my "nesting" stage, Jeff was able to go exploring, which made us both happy. But oh, that wasn't to last, either. We still had the terraces to furnish and decorate.  Gardening is Jeff's thing, so off we went on the bike to seek out furniture, planters and flowers. He would drive home, and I'd take the loot back home in a taxi. Always an adventure!


What we've found most amazing is that things did finally start settling down. Friends would come to dinner and comment at how "homey" and lived-in the place is, marveling how short a time it took. We definitely feel totally comfortable and grateful for how it all turned out. But now what's next? How do we fill our days and nights? Looks like a Part Three's 
                                           coming up...


2 comments:

Noni said...

Ok ... Let's see if this works.

Trish said...

Hi Noni,

It did work, but I'm not sure I understand your comment. Welcome to the blog, though, and thanks for reading!