How lucky are WE? We get to look young longer, be young longer, and be playful longer. We get to turn those passive-sounding “golden years” into whatever we create them to be. Do you still feel like a vibrant, energetic kid? We do. That’s why we sold everything to live in Costa Rica. Now we’re in Cuenca, Ecuador. And no matter where we are ~ at home or abroad ~ everyone’s got their own adventures. Will you share yours? Let’s LIVE LIFE FULL-ON together!

Thursday, July 24, 2014

LONELY IN THE MOUNTAINS? NOT A CHANCE!



I knew friends and family would begin to worry the minute we mentioned moving out of Cuenca and up into the mountains.  What would we do without friends, much less neighbors, nearby? Without a social life? Without a Supermaxi supermarket to run to? Like Zsa Zsa Gabor in Green Acres, they probably had visions of me telling Jeff, “Dahlin’ I love you, but give me Park Avenue.” 

Truth be told, I definitely entertained those questions, too. But as with any other major decisions in  life, I dug deep down to explore what I really felt about it all before agreeing to take the leap. For Jeff it was a no-brainer, but it was important to both of us to make sure the move was right for the both of us.

Four months later, there’s not a doubt in my mind. I’m completely in my comfort zone too. But how has everything unfolded? How do we spend our time?

Well, for Jeff that’s an easy answer. I’ve never seen anyone more excited to get up in the

morning and get into one project or another. For him living in the country is a natural. The more to do, the better. 

For me, being happy in life is all about having PURPOSE. Retirement may give the gift of relaxation, but I’m definitely tuned in to making sure that doesn’t turn into boredom. So for the first month here, I did what I love to do best: nest. I got to create a home out of the new house and settle ourselves in. And then the writing itch came back. I’ve been wanting to write a book about living abroad, and here’s the perfect opportunity. Beautiful views, lots of time and quiet to focus, and a great loft to spread out in. I started by taking an online writing course. I’m now working on the planning stages of the book and getting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). Now that the passion is back, I’m ready!

And then of course, I had to throw a monkey wrench into everything. The house was almost too
quiet. What was missing? Right. A dog! I couldn’t resist the ad on a local expat site called the Gringo Tree. That one threw Jeff for a loop because I’ve never even had a dog. He warned me that it would change our lives in a wonderful way but would also limit our freedom. Still, that afternoon we came home with an adorable German Shepherd puppy. So now in between writing and nesting, I take Dina for walks on the farm and train and play with her. I love it.



Oh, but wait. You’re thinking it’s still gotta be way too quiet around here, dog or not, right? NOT! We’ve never had so many visitors in our lives. It’s a blast ~ and very, very busy. Our friends certainly make sure we don’t have time to be lonely. They’ve all been great about getting out here, even those without cars. A bus comes and goes for $2.00 each way if all else fails. It’s been a joy. We’re also meeting other expat and Ecuadorian friends living nearby and feel more and more part of the local community - despite being spread out all over mountains. There’s a tiny town on the main roadway about 9km away called La Paz (Peace) where we’re getting to know small shop owners. Love it. And yes, the visits will probably taper off a bit, but knowing our friends, they’ll help to make sure we don’t lose touch. Besides, I’ve got my Ecuadorian driver’s license, so I’ll be heading into Cuenca for some play time, too! 

What do I miss most? Being able to go out to dinner and socialize “out” every once in awhile. Who likes to have to cook all the time? In Cuenca I used to rue not having take-out places. Here I rue not having any restaurants at all  (although there is a great lunch place owned by some new Ecuadorian friends, a daytime treat). 

I also miss not having the convenience of the Supermaxi a few blocks away.  I now buy in bulk when we go into the city for our food shopping and freeze a lot to make sure I’m not caught without the necessities. No doubt, that weekly trip is also ridiculously hectic because we do all our other running around, too, and it affords little time to visit with friends there. Oh, well. You have to take the good with the bad, right? 

Still, are we Lonely? Bored? Not in a million years!

4 comments:

Aloha Ritch said...

So, Trish, was getting the EC driver's license all they say? What was the process?

Trish said...

Hi again, Ritch,

With the license, you can go one of 2 ways. You either get your original license record from your local DMV and have it apostilled there and then translated and notarized here, or you have to take a week long intensive driver's course (in spanish). After either one you then take a written test of 20 questions. You can download the 200 or so questions from which they choose your 20 online from the ANT (Agencia Nacional de Transito) site.

Once you get the documents submitted to the local ANT, you have to wait for them to email you their approval. We were then sent to a town outside of Cuenca to take the test, which was strange. But anyway, I was given the test in spanish because I'm bilingual, and my husband was lucky enough to be given one in english the week later when he went. I say lucky, because the very head of the dept. there had told me they didn't yet exist, but when Jeff went to take his, one of the employees somehow gave him one. Needless to say, a few of our friends were a little envious, but even though they don't speak or read the language, somehow they managed. The questions are really easy, but a pain to have to study so many to be asked so few.

So, Aloha Ritch, Are you on your way to Ecuador?

Aloha Ritch said...

That's the first I'd heard about the apostille with the DMV info. Guess that's worth it.
We've been to Cuenca twice with the last time being for the full 90 days; we probably have some of the same friends. Our plan is to sell our home next summer and come your way in Sept 2015.

Trish said...

Hi again Ritch,
I'll double check on the apostille deal, but I'm almost positive that we had to do that. Like you said, it's certainly worth doing anyway just to make sure you're covered. You know how things can change depending on the employee you speak to ~ or when ~ around these parts!

Wow - you must know Cuenca pretty well at this point. I'll bet we do know some of the same people. Again, keep in touch so we can welcome you back in 2015!