How lucky are WE? We get to look young longer, be young longer, and be playful longer. We get to turn those passive-sounding “golden years” into whatever we create them to be. Do you still feel like a vibrant, energetic kid? We do. That’s why we sold everything to live in Costa Rica. Now we’re in Cuenca, Ecuador. And no matter where we are ~ at home or abroad ~ everyone’s got their own adventures. Will you share yours? Let’s LIVE LIFE FULL-ON together!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

IT’S ALL IN THE JOURNEY Life & Purpose in the Expat Lane

I know I’m not alone on this one. We retired people - no matter who, or where, we are -  want to to lead purposeful lives. For some that means traveling and climbing new mountains; for others getting into hobbies or developing hidden talents; yet for others developing a small business venture. We may not want the pressures of the go-getting professional life anymore, but it’s incredibly life-affirming to be hungry for new goals and discovery. Isn't it amazing to be free to re-create ourselves any way we wish?

Recently a friend of ours sparked a brand new adventure in me I wouldn’t have considered otherwise. Stan and I had been talking about the book I’m planning to write about the personal, emotional impact of living abroad. The gleam in his eyes intensified. “That’s a great idea,” he exclaimed. You’ve got years of overseas living experience, and much to offer others. You’re an expert!”

The Wealthy Adventurer's
University
Expert? Me? In an era when every “expert” online or on TV appears to be under the age of 35,  maybe after all these years I do have something to share. But “expert”? That’s a tough one to wrap my head around. Besides, if there were ever an expert on the expat life, it would be Stan. He’s traveled and lived all over for the better part of his, and has established a wonderfully interesting website called The Wealthy Adventurer's University. Now he’s an expert.

And then he lit the fire. Pressing me further, Stan asked, “What if you do a split-screen podcast interviews with other expats on your blog?”

Whoa. It took only a second for me to realize what a great platform that would be. Then I could really get to the heart of how expats live ~ and feel ~ negotiating every day in a foreign country, often in a different language. There are plenty of “how-to” books and resources about overseas retirement, and yet very few shine light on the ups and downs of what it’s really like. My main goal is to help others ask themselves not only, “Would I?”, but most importantly, “SHOULD I?

The expat life is many things - exciting, daunting, overwhelming, fulfilling, and more. We retired expats also come in all colors and personalities. For some this life fits like a favorite shoe, and for others, it’s like wearing them two sizes too small. It pinches and hurts. By listening to the stories of those who’ve taken the brave leap, I’m certain there’d be an abundance of insights to help those interested or who are contemplating it themselves.

So, dear reader friend, this is where you come in. Would you tune in to expat interviews? I love hearing peoples’ stories of their brave leap abroad, and what it’s been like for them. Would that be true for you? And if you’re not quite an expat yet, do you think the interviews would help in making the decision? Please tell me what you think in the comment area. 


Such fun ~ I think my dear amigo Stan has led me to a unexpected and oh-so-exciting purpose. Now I’d simply appreciate your help in answering my own big question: “SHOULD I?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great idea i will read no doubt. here in asheville

Trish said...

So funny - I've traveled fairly extensively but have always wanted to get to Asheville. Maybe someday! But anyway, Anonymous, thanks so much for your feedback. I'll be getting out my first video interview soon and look forward to hearing what you think. Muchas gracias for taking the time to write!

Thomas said...

SHOULD I ?

You must !

Trish said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Thomas! As a matter of fact I'm so excited about the idea that I've been working on creating a new website for aspiring expats with lots more to it, too. Stay tuned!
I appreciate your taking the time to write!